WHAT WE STAND FOR
“The Liberal Democrats exist to build and safeguard a fair, free and open society, in which we seek to balance the fundamental values of liberty, equality and community, and in which no one shall be enslaved by poverty, ignorance or conformity.”
Locally, Huntingdonshire Liberal Democrats strongly believe that all residents should be well-represented by councillors who work for them year round. Lib Dems don’t just say this, we deliver this week in and week out. Our principles of being open, tolerant, untied and giving everyone an opportunity can be seen in how we work as an effective and constructive opposition. We never forget that local issues matter most to you and that being there, on the doorstep, to listen and then try to make a difference is what really helps communities.
In Huntingdonshire our priorities are:
- Ensuring that Huntingdonshire becomes an even better place to live and work with the needs of local people put first: houses meet local needs and communities have the services, employment and infrastructure they need to grow and thrive; making sure we have excellent education across the region and that healthcare is readily available and accessible in all our communities.
- Capitalising on our proximity to Cambridge to grow a vibrant sustainable economy which looks to the future to ensure we have industries that will grow and thrive, together with a workforce equipped to take up those new jobs.
WHO REPRESENTS YOU
In Huntingdonshire, Liberal Democrats serve the community as:-
- Cambridgeshire County Councillors: Liberal Democrats form the opposition to the Conservatives administration, with 14 Councillors (including 3 from the Huntingdonshire District Council area; Peter Downes, Graham Wilson, Mike Shellens).
- Huntingdon District Councillors: There are currently (October 2021) 6 Liberal Democrat Councillors; Sarah Conboy, Patricia Jordan, John Morris, Mike Humphrey, Mike Grice and Sarah Wilson, who give people in the constituency a strong local voice.
- Parish Councillors: There are quite a number of town and parish councillors who are Lib Dem supporters in our area
You can find out more about our District organisation on the “Meet the Team” page. To find out more about the Liberal Democrat County Council group see Cambridgeshire Liberal Democrat councillors.